Saturday, February 22, 2020

Psalm 131

Psalm 131
1 O LORD, 
my heart is not lifted up, 
my eyes are not raised too high; 
I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. 
2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul, 
like a weaned child with its mother; 
my soul is like the weaned child that is with me. 
3 O Israel, hope in the LORD 
from this time on and forevermore. 


Psalm 131 is a psalm of trust. This little psalm is a tender and intimate little song, too little known, according to some. It is full of childlike warmth, arising from a mature faith that comes after years of struggles. The psalmist finds peace in communion with God. The experience encourages the reader to have hope. 1 O LORD, directing us immediately to Yahweh, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. Here is the confession important to the poet, who does not have pride or ambitious desire. Verses 2-3 direct the reader to the congregation, revealing how the writer achieved equanimity of soul and exhorting Israel to trust the Lord. 2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul is like the weaned child that is with me. How many years of struggle lay behind this experience? The writer has found peace in the presence of God. The heart of the writer found rest there. The mother gradually weans the away from her. The center of gravity shifted from self to God. For some, the imagery suggests authorship by a woman. It offers a striking picture of the faith of a person who wishes to remain in the background, avoiding all pride, all anxious desire to please, and all inappropriate ambition. The primary desire is to bring calm and quiet to her soul, thereby appearing before God with love, devotion, and trust. The ambiguity is where the petitioner identifies with the mother or the newly weaned child. The images of tranquility suit a recently nursing mother. 3 O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time on and forevermore. Such personal confession and piety was made a part of the worship of the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment