Sunday, May 14, 2017

John 14:1-14

John 14:1-14 (NRSV)

 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And you know the way to the place where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. 12 Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it. 

Year A
Fifth Sunday after Easter
May 14, 2017
May 18, 2014
May 22, 2011
Cross~Wind UMC
Title: Matters of the Heart
1461; 5.9

Introducing the passage 


John 14:1-14 has the theme of Jesus as the way to the Father for those who believe in him. The issue of this segment is what will happen to Jesus after his departure. He notes that they have troubled hearts. They have worry, fear, anxiety, or stress. John has portrayed a spiritual battle between spirit and flesh, light and darkness, sight and blindness, and life and death. Jesus assures them that while dark forces at work against him and the disciples, God will have victory. Their destination is to be in the house of the Father of the Son. Jesus portrays an intimate setting between God and human beings in eternity. They will not make this home in eternity, in other words. Their Father in heaven will make it. However, as is typical in John, Thomas, one of the disciples, shows he does really understand. He is thinking on an earthly level, while Jesus is speaking on a spiritual level. We have here one of many “I am” statements in John. He in his person is the way, because he is truth (revelation or that which grounds, sustains, and comprehends all things) and life (salvation). We also see Jesus distinguishing between himself as the Son and his heavenly Father, pointing the way to reflections on the Trinity. The Son is the revelation of the Father. We know the Father because we know the Son. God is transcendent, beyond anything we can imagine, and also known and revealed in the Son. We also read of the intimate connection between Father, Son, and Spirit. The Son asks the Father to send the Spirit. The Spirit is to glorify the Son. We also read of the world. He stresses the tension between world and disciple. Although the world does not always persecute the disciple, the disciple should always feel the tension. Yet, followers of Jesus are to keep presenting Jesus to the world, for disciples continue the work of Jesus in the world.

Introduction


My mind is on the heart today.

May is a month for confirmation and graduation. Many young people wonder what they will do with their lives. For me several decades after such graduation moments, it makes me think of what I have done with my life, and what I will do with the rest of it. These are weighty questions, and I hope among those we ask our young people.

May is also the month for Mother’s Day, a day when our thoughts turn to family. Too often, we take family granted. We know we have been selfish. We complain about our roles and tasks in the family while we have been ungrateful for how it has benefitted our lives. All families need some reconciliation and forgiveness. We can understand how Anna M. Jarvis (1864-1948) gave everyone at the memorial service of her mother a carnation to honor the mother she loved. We can also understand how her suggestion to the nation that we honor mothers so quickly gained in popularity that Woodrow Wilson and Congress agreed in 1914 to set aside this day in May. In fact, we have a whole week of celebrating the family. When we think of family, I hope we think of matters of the heart and the people who matter to us. We do not want supermom. We do want the presence and love moms can give. Some people need healing in the relationship with mom. At this stage of my life, I reflect not only upon my mother, but also on the women who today have been wonderful examples of Christian life and faith.

Have you ever said something like this? We need to get to the heart of the matter, which is something like what the Bible means when it refers to the heart.  What are the things that matter to you? What ought to be the core beliefs and values that guide your life? What will you do with your life in terms of a vocation? Most of us want our work to be something we genuinely enjoy and toward which have some passion. What is that for me, at this stage in my life? Such questions deal with the heart spiritually, and a good response will have a positive influence upon your whole life.

            Such spiritual questions are weighty.

Many people are quite health conscious today. I became somewhat that way in college, and have listened to what I thought was good advice over the years. Eat well. Exercise regularly. Your heart is an important muscle. I guess the point of all this is to care for the heart, and you will care for your whole body.[1]

All of this stimulated some thinking on my part about preachers and teachers within the Christian tradition referring to the “heart.”[2]

Application


Let us continue with the example from medicine. I think I am in good company. Ancient Greek philosophers thought of themselves as physicians of the soul. Doctors will tell you that physical well-being is as simple as diet and exercise. Neglect either of those, and you are heading for heart trouble. Spiritually, the same principles are in play.

I invite you for just a few moments now to reflect with me in a practical way what a good diet and regular exercise mean spiritually.

First, let us consider the spiritual dangers of not having good diet and exercise spiritually.

The best thing you can do for your family is nourish the relationship between husband and wife and nourish the relationship you have with Jesus.

In 1844, Kierkegaard released The Concept of Anxiety: A Simple Psychologically Orienting Deliberation on the Dogmatic Issue of Hereditary Sin. As he describes it, too many rush headlong into life, continuing to rush forward, and yet, never find life. In fact, he says, the rush of a modern life does not give one pause to reflect upon matters related to meaning. In fact, if we are not careful, we will say “goodnight to all meaning in life.” If this was true in the time Kierkegaard, it is true at a greater level today.

Most of us have plenty of things about which to worry. I have no doubt many mothers worry about their children. It seems natural to do so. Family finances, the turmoil in the world, or the core beliefs and values that guide your life, ought to concern us. What does God want you to do with the brief time you have on this earth, and in particular, at this stage in your life?

The danger of not taking care of your heart spiritually is that you will not be able to stand the test and trials of daily life. You may lack direction and crave a sense of peace. You will look for nourishment in all the wrong places. You will skip matters of the spirit and try being content with whatever this world provides. Thus, you may devote yourself to the latest politics, the latest pop psychology, the latest way to make money, or the latest health craze.

If I could offer some advice to graduates, it would be this. Do not rush into life, for you may pass it by. Give yourself some time to reflect upon the things that really matter.

Is your heart troubled? Given the condition of the world, how could it not be?

You will need proper diet and exercise.[3]

Second, far too many followers of Christ have heart trouble stemming from the fact that their lives involve no regular consumption of Christ.

If you are longing to know God, as we learn in this passage, look to Jesus.  

Show us the Father,” says Philip. “Have I been with you so long, and you still say, show us the Father. If you have seen me, you have seen the Father. I am the way, I am truth and life.”  

God is so different from us that we must rely upon God to show us what God is like. We call this revelation. God has “revealed,” God has “disclosed” who God is, in Jesus. Now, if this is true, we need to spend some time deepening our relationship with him.

I have a GPS system in my iPhone. What can it do for me? Well, for one thing, I can plug in a destination, and it will provide me a route to get from here to there. Now, is there something even better than a GPS or a map? Yes, a person who has been there, who remembers, and who can guide us. In fact, sometimes the GPS is wrong, and we had better have another way. Now, God knows our difficulty with finding directions. Therefore, God sent Jesus to show us the way to our destination, namely, in the intimate communion we will have with God and each other in the eternal home God has made. Jesus is the one who shows us the way to get there, because he is truth and life. If we stay close to Jesus, we will reach our destination.

How do we stay close to Jesus? This passage mentions prayer. You will need your Bible. You will need worship and you will need to develop intentionally your faith.

Third, far too many followers of Christ have heart trouble stemming from the fact that their lives involve no actual exercise of their faith in Christ.[4]

"Truly, truly," said Jesus, "whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these he will do ..." (v. 12, ESV).

Could it be that one reason your faith feels so weak is that it never gets off the couch? Could it be that the very reason you feel so ill equipped to face life's obstacles is that you have only attempted to avoid them? Could it be that the very means of strengthening your heart of faith is jumping at opportunities that will test it?

Let the fruit of the Spirit flow through us. Look them up in Galatians 5.

Let the spiritual gifts find development in us. Look them up in I Corinthians 12-14.

Taking steps of reconciliation with a family member, helping people on the fringes of society, budget and tithe, and stop making excuses, would be good ways to exercise spiritually.[5]

Conclusion


            Many things may trouble your hearts. This world is screwed up. I would be surprised if you did not have a troubled heart sometimes. I know I do. The dangers are there in life. Let Christ nourish you. Our danger here is the junk food that is out there. Feed on the good, solid food spiritually. Exercise your faith. Let the fruit of the Spirit and spiritual gifts develop through us. Take care of your heart.

Going deeper 


John 14:1-14

1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. [As Karl Barth stresses, the comfort and warning here is that disciples are not in their own house, but in that of the Father of Jesus, a house that has many rooms, including some of which they do not yet know. [6]] If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And you know the way to the place where I am going." 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" [As is typical in John, Thomas is thinking on an earthly level, while Jesus is trying to get him to think on a spiritual level.] 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. [John has many such “I AM” statements: "I am the bread of life" (6:35); "the light of the world" (8:12; 9:5); "the gate (for the sheep)" (10:7, 9); "the good shepherd" (10:11, 14); "the resurrection and the life" (11:25); "the (true) vine" (15:1, 5); and in this passage, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life" (14:6). They all express the role of Jesus in our spiritual lives, and therefore, the health of the heart – spiritually. Karl Barth stresses that Jesus speaks of himself as the Way itself. In John, Truth does not mean something static, but that truth imparts itself to others. Life does not mean self-sufficient life, but rather, the life that imparts itself and redeems from death. He directs us to Eduard Schweizer, who says that the Johannine Jesus describes himself as the true and proper object of all the metaphorical conceptions he uses, include that of truth and life here. The point of Barth is that Jesus points to his own person as the Way, which is as such the Truth and the Life. [7] He also says that Jesus is the Way because he is truth (revelation) and life (salvation).[8] Pannenberg says this verse is important support for the reciprocal self-distinction of Father, Son, and Spirit as the concrete form of Trinitarian relations. God is infinitely above all that is human and creaturely. Therefore, one may know God only through the Son. Only through the Son can we as human beings know the Father. The Son is the revelation of the Father, since the one knows the Father only through the Son. [9] Pannenberg says that in using the word “truth,” John is identifying Christ with the truth of God that grounds, sustains, and comprehends all things. The saying is in keeping with the eschatological awareness that Jesus had at his coming. Therefore, any interpretation of his person and history claiming to be a relevant understanding of its object, has to do with the truth claim that defines the coming of Jesus and its confirmation by the resurrection of Jesus in which the Christian faith has its basis. He stresses that Christians live with faith in this historical testimony to Jesus.[10]  Pannenberg stresses that only the doctrine of the Trinity could clarify the question of union and tension between transcendence and immanence. This doctrine makes it possible to link the transcendence of the Father in heaven with the presence of the Father in believers through the Son and Spirit. Therefore, in virtue of the consubstantiality and perichoresis of the three persons, the Father, notwithstanding transcendence, Christian theology could view as present and close to believers through the Son and Spirit, a point this passage makes clear. Therefore, the Trinitarian life of God in the economy of salvation proves to be the true infinity of divine omnipresence. [11] As to the phrase in verse 9, where one who has seen the Son has seen the Father, Luther will make the point that the Trinitarian God is revealed in Jesus Christ. As Pannenberg interprets Luther at this point, implied here is a connection of the Father and Son to the distinction of the hidden and the revealed God. Yet, the point is not that the Father is the hidden God and incarnate Son the revealed God. In the event of revelation, the hidden God is revealed as the Father of Jesus Christ. The unity of the hidden and revealed God is manifest in the unity of the Father and the Son. If for Luther the unity of the hidden and revealed God will be definitively manifest only in the light of eschatological glory, this means that the unity of the Trinitarian God is still engaged in the process of history. The Trinitarian distinctions of the Father, Son, and Spirit are not hidden. The divine reality discloses itself in the event of revelation. What is hidden is the unity of the divine essence in these distinctions. [12] Dunn makes an interesting point when he says that John in his notion of Logos and Son has resolved a tension within the Jewish faith, for God is transcendent and immanent. He identified the impersonal Logs with the person of the Son, and presented Jesus as the incarnate Logos who explains the unseeable God, the immanent Son who makes the transcendent Father visible. Yet, in resolving the tension for the Jewish faith, he set up a fresh tension for the Christian faith. For when the divine power that seizes upon conscience and will, heart and mind, is identified with or as a particular person it is bound to have an encounter with God had been experienced as personal address, it had not been conceived in terms of a person distinct from God. However, now in John the word of God is identified with a particular historical person, whose pre-existence as a person with God is asserted throughout.[13]] 7 If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him."

 [John 14:8-14 is part of the larger segment of John 14:1-14, where the theme is that Jesus is the way to the Father. Jesus is sharing his final words with his disciples. What we are going to hear is the intimate connection between the Father, Son, and Spirit. The Father sends the Son. We are going to hear about having faith or belief in this relationship. After all, Christians have said from the beginning that if people want to know God, they need to look to Jesus. We are going to hear about the close connection between loving Jesus and keeping his commandments. In this Gospel, though, this means the “new commandment,” that of loving each other. As often happens in the New Testament, faith and love come close together. We also learn that Jesus is asking the Father to send the Spirit of truth. As Jesus goes to the Father, his followers will have the Holy Spirit living in them. The role of the Spirit is to remind us of Jesus. The Spirit does not glorify himself. The Spirit glorifies the Son. We are also going to hear the word “world.” In this Gospel, that is his shortened way of referring to people who do not believe or resist the preaching of the apostles. The point is that if you allow the Holy Spirit to live in you, you will have to put up with a certain strangeness in relationship to the rest of the world. The world will not understand you and your values. At times, you will not understand why the world does what it does. He will talk about prayer “in the name of Jesus,” qualifying what it means to ask anything in prayer. What I want to stress, though, is the close connection between the Father, Son, and Spirit. The works of Jesus will continue in the works of the disciples, through the power of the Spirit. The Spirit keeps presenting Jesus to us. We are to keep presenting Jesus to the world, and the Spirit will help us do that.]

8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” [Again, Philip is not quite getting the spiritual level at which Jesus is speaking.] 9 Jesus said to him, [note the disappointment]“Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. [He is the true Son - the Child of the Heavenly Father. He and the Father share an essence, an access to power, and a relationship that allow the full exercise of that power. As Barth sees it, the terms Father and Son in John are such that the content of the one presupposes the other, and there follows the declaration that from knowledge of the content of the one there can be knowledge of the content of the other. In John, one is form, the other is content.[14] He also offers the opinion that the believer can have confidence in the providence of God because our creator is also a gracious Father to the children of God. In this verse, we can see that the Christian belief in providence sees the Father, and therefore God over us, and therefore the Lord of the world process. The will that rules the history of created being is not concealed. Word and work complement each other. In addition to this most unique and overt naming of Christ's divine power, John also relates unique teachings of Christ, unparalleled in the other gospels, which make clear his plan for the disciples and for the faithful who will come after them. Phillip's question implies the desire for a vision.  Jesus' answer is that now that he is here, Jesus is the only vision they need.[15]] 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. 12 Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. [Verses 12-14 have the theme of the power of belief in Jesus. The disciples can wield the same authority, do the same actions and even greater acts, if they will only believe that they, too, share this familial bond with God through Christ. As Dodd puts it, Christ is “coming again” in the mighty works in the disciples. The miracles of Jesus were signs of the revelation and salvation he brings.  The works of the disciples continue this ministry.[16]] 13 I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it. [Pannenberg says that the Spirit makes it possible to pray to the Father “in the name of Jesus,” to which Jesus promises a hearing. All of this suggests that their works are, in reality, Jesus' works - and by extension the works of God the Father. [17]]

In John 14:1-14, Jesus gives his disciples - and us - this clear command: "Let not your hearts be troubled" (John 14:1, ESV).

Now, to be clear, Jesus is talking about a different kind of heart trouble: the kind that one can also classify as worry, fear, anxiety or stress. The kind of heart trouble that can feel like a loss of hope, a lack of faith, a panic attack or pangs of uncertainty. Most specifically, Jesus is preparing the disciples to be without his physical presence. Their troubled hearts are a result of the spiritual battle John often portrays between Spirit and flesh, light and darkness, sight and blindness, Life and Death.  Jesus wants to strengthen the faith of the disciples in light of what he has just said about betrayal, departure, and denial. Yes, dark forces are against Jesus and the disciples, but God will have a victory, even if in a quite unexpected way.

Jesus reminds them that he is preparing a place for them in the house of the Father. He portrays an intimate setting between God and human beings in eternity. Let us look at verses 5-7. Jesus is the way because he is the truth and life, understood in light of the mission of Jesus to humanity. Jesus is the Way because he reveals the Father.

Thus, beyond physical death (we often read this lesson at funerals) he refers to the kind of heart trouble that keeps you up at night thinking about money, biting your nails when you're worried about your child or on the phone with a friend craving advice for a crumbling marriage.

Jesus explains that he can do the powerful acts that God can do because he and God have an intimate relationship, essentially and substantially (vv. 9-10). He is the true Son - the Child of the Heavenly Father.



[1] The basis of my concern today is a few articles I came across recently. The Mayo Clinic has some simple advice regarding a healthy heart: eat well and exercise regularly. You need both. You cannot compensate for a bad diet by exercising more. I have jokingly said that I like to run in order to eat the desserts I like. Well, a health person on television this week said the body does not work that way. The point is, you really need both.
I have come across many statistics. I will not bore you with them. Here are a few. In 2006, 631,636 people died of heart disease. Heart disease caused 26% of deaths—more than one in every four—in the United States.1 White people die of heart disease at a greater rate than either African-Americans, Asians, or Native Americans. Death rates due to the heart are highest in Mississippi and lowest in Minnesota. Lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels can reduce all forms of heart issues. The greatest risk factors involve inactivity, obesity, and high blood pressure, while smoking and high cholesterol are lower on the list. Finally, you put yourself at more risk when you do not eat breakfast. I have never been one regularly to skip breakfast. A bowl of cereal or something simple is usually enough. Sometimes, I get a treat with bacon or sausage and egg. Sometimes, I make my own buttermilk pancakes. Who knows, I may have gotten it from my mother. The first thing Mom would do early in the morning is have her coffee, cereal, and her cigarette.
[2] Just as we can do things that endanger the heart physically, we can do things that endanger the heart spiritually. It will threaten your ability to be a follower of Christ. Medicine has been helpful in saying that proper diet and exercise will be the type of self-care you need for a healthy physical heart. Being a follower of Jesus addresses the heart of the matter spiritually. What I want us to focus upon is what we can do to heed this command of Jesus: Do not let your hearts be troubled.
Let us be honest: Is it even possible, as follower of Jesus in an extremely screwed-up world, to heed his command and have an untroubled heart? Really?
I have come across a few bits of wisdom about worry.
 
I have developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time. -Charlie Brown.
As printed in a church bulletin: Don't let worry kill you - let the church help.
 
Some suggestions on how to keep from worrying:

Drag your thoughts away from your troubles ... by the ears, by the heels or any other way you can manage it. -Mark Twain.
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.
-Author unknown.
 
These words are some wise counsel for gaining perspective on what worries us.
 
[3] What I am going to suggest is that when it comes to our spiritual lives, Jesus needs to be your personal trainer. He will guide you in matters of diet and exercise for the health of your heart, spiritually speaking.
[4] In addition to feeding your heart, you will need to exercise it. This will submit your heart to test it in an active lifestyle and stretching it to the limits. Physically, we need a healthy lifestyle that will take our lifetimes to implement. We will need a lifetime to allow Christ to shape our lifestyle.
[5] You may need to take the difficult step of reconciliation with a family member.
You may need to respond to a sense or calling to be “there” for those on the fringes of society.
You may need to conquer financial worries by setting up a budget and tithe.
You may need to stop making excuses for where you are in life now and take the bold steps to engage and grow your heart.  
[6] (Church Dogmatics, IV.2 [68.3] 808)
[7] (Church Dogmatics, III.2 [44.1] 56)
[8] (ibid., II.1 [25.1] 29)
[9] (Systematic Theology, Volume 1, 308, 315)
[10] (Systematic Theology, Volume 3, 155)
[11] (Systematic Theology, 1988, Volume 1, 415)
[12] (Systematic Theology, Volume 1, 340)
[13] (Christology in the Making, 1980, p 250)
[14] (Church Dogmatics, I.1 [5.4] 176)
[15] (ibid., III.3 [48.2], 29)
[16] (The Interpretation of the Fourth Gospel, 1940, p 395)
[17] (Systematic Theology, Volume 3, 204)

No comments:

Post a Comment